In The (Commercial) Break
Beaux-Arts de Paris, Amphithéâtre des Loges
Thursday, June 21, 2018, 6pm
Program conceived by Martine Syms, with Allie Avital, Ximena Cuevas, Hannah Black, Rami George, Irena Haiduk, Kevin Jerome Everson, Nicole Miller, Tiona Nekkia McClodden, Ed Owens, Sondra Perry, Diamond Stingily, Martine Syms, and Wu Tsang
Martine Syms, Lesson IV, 2014–2018.
Entitled In the (Commercial) Break, this screening is dedicated to American artist Martine Syms. Rarely shown in France, her video works tackle topical questions such as the future-screen of contemporary social life, the constant staging of the self, the meme-ification of the real, and the dominant/dominated relationships, while inscribing and extending the history of American visual culture, notably through the examination of black representations.
The screening brings together recent videos by Martine Syms, from the Lessons corpus, as well as a selection of works emblematic of her visual and political universe produced by artists with whom she is close. All of them stage the—complex—production of identities and images in our contemporary world. Lessons, the heart of the session, is a set of 30-second "clips," developed by Martine Syms since 2014. Using YouTube videos, television excerpts, and personal recordings, she shows, in a deliberately fragmentary and indirect way, the daily life of African-American communities.
– , Century, 2012, 7'. Courtesy the artist; Trilobite-Arts DAC; Picture Palace Pictures
– , Lesson XC, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , studio test, NO NO NO, 2013, 2'15. Courtesy of the artist and Electronic Arts Intermix (EAI), New York
– , Untitled (Saturday, October 16, 1993), 2015, 5'. Courtesy of the Artist
– , Lesson XCI, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , Girl Talk, 2015, 4'. KADIST Collection, Courtesy of the artist and Galerie Isabella Bortolozzi, Berlin
– , The Labryinth 1.0, 5'38. Courtesy of the artist
– , Lesson XCII, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , Nine Hour Delay:Printemps-Ete-Automne-Hiver 2058, 2013, 2'7. Courtesy of the artist
– , The Fall of Communism, 2014, 5'23. Courtesy of the artist
– , Lesson XCIII, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , The Borrowers (Ndinda), 2015, 3'40. Courtesy of the artist
– , Remembrance: A Portrait Study, 1967, 6'. Courtesy of the artist and Film Makers' Cooperative, New York
– , Lesson XCIV, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , Sandra's Walk, 2016, 1'. Courtesy of the artist
– , Lesson XCV, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
– , Moses Sumney: Worth It?, 2016, 3'23. Courtesy of the artist
– , Contemporary Artist, 1999, 4'57. Courtesy of the artist and Video Databank, Chicago
– , Lesson XCVI, 2018, 30''. Courtesy of the artist
Born in 1988, Martine Syms lives and works in Los Angeles. Her work has been recently exhibited in the following galleries and institutions : Karma International and the Hammer Museum (Los Angeles), The Museum of Modern Art and the New Museum (New York), the Kunsthalle Bern, the MOCA Los Angeles and MCA Chicago. She is the founder of Dominica Publishing, an imprint dedicated to exploring blackness in visual culture.
She is currently in residency at KADIST, Paris.